Summer Sewing: Nadine Shirt

I’ve recently become rather enamoured with Republique du Chiffon patterns, especially their lastest Winter collection. Unfortunately, my French is limited to school-girl “ou est le bibliotheque, s’il vous plait?”, so I thought I would have a go at one of their PDF patterns before I shelled out for a more complicated paper pattern. I liked the Nadine shirt, I thought it would be cute with jeans or skirts and I always like collared shirts for a bit more coverage when its sunny. And I’ve put a few two piece collars together now, so I thought I could probably muddle my way through even if I couldn’t manage a good translation!

  

It really wasn’t too hard to sort out the instructions, I ran most of it though Googe Translate. I did get some gems back, like this one…

  
…sure, I’ll just dig out my electroplater! The only word I had real trouble with though was Surfilez, I couldn’t find a translation for that via the internet. Happily instagram and the WSBN came to my rescue and informed me that it meant ‘to finish’, so overlocking my edges. 
  

Once I had the instructions sorted, it was a quick and easy project. Or it would have been quick, if I hadn’t fluffed around a bit with the binding on the arm holes, and then let the whole thing languish for over a week before I got my act together and put the press studs on! I’m feeling a bit uninspired now that I’m back at work, but hopefully finishing this will give me a bit more motivation. 

 
I used a navy cotton seersucker from my stash (I’m trying really hard to work from my stash first, as its getting a bit out of hand, but I’m so easily seduced by new shiny pretty fabric…), and its really nice and breezy to wear. Its pretty short though, even on my short torso! Luckily I have so many high waisted skirts and trousers to wear it with.

 My only regret is not using stiffer interfacing on the collar and stand, and not using any at all on the button bands. I did consider adding some along the button bands as far as the last press stud, but I didn’t in the end and I think the bands are a bit sad and floppy now (I don’t think there were instructions to interface the bands, but I might have lost them in my translation). The collar is also a bit sad and floppy, especially with the weight of the press studs pulling them down. Better interfacing selection is something I need to work on. When I started sewing I always chose horrible stiff stuff, but now I seem to have gone too far the other way and keep picking interfacing which is too soft. Its a fine line!
  
Not discouraged by my experience with Nadine, I decided to take the plunge and buy the Madeleine dress pattern in French. I’m really looking forward to making it, though I hope google translate will be more helpful this time! 

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “Summer Sewing: Nadine Shirt

  1. Such a chic outfit! The shirt looks great with that skirt. I love the instruction to electroplate. So good. I might just refer to my iron that way from now on.

    1. Ha ha, killing seams does add more drama than just sewing them! I had another slightly alarming mistranslation when it told me to hold the collar against my cervical area…I know it meant the nape of my neck (cervical vertibrae, I suppose), but it did make me blink!

  2. Excellent, bravo Kristin. Honestly, from where I’m sitting amongst packing boxes, the collar points look awesome and I do love this look on you. That fly zip on the skirt is pretty damned good too hey?
    The interfacing thing is fraught I reckon. I do all the testing on sample pieces and still make ‘wrong’ choices. So easy to swing the entire spectrum from corrugated cardboard to toilet paper weight!
    Over at The Craft Sessions, Felicia has issued a call to action and created a form to itemise stashed goods, wanna join me in the inventory of shame??!!!!

    http://thecraftsessions.com/blog/2016/1/26/stash-less-challenge-1-taking-stock

    1. Eek, I don’t think I’m ready to do a full inventory! Its probably a good idea though. I’ve made a promise to myself that for the next wee while I’ll sew two out of every three garments from stashed fabric, so I’ll see how that goes!
      Glad its not just me struggling with interfacing! Hope your packing goes smoothly 🙂

  3. I love it! And the adventures in translating makes it even better! I minored in French in college… I’d offer my translating services (rusty as they are), but I’m afraid you’d then be stuck having to translate it from American English 😉
    Also, with almost 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) of snow currently on the ground here I am SUPER jealous of your summer right now 😦

    1. Thanks! And thanks for the offer 🙂 google translate is pretty good for getting the general idea! It never snows here, so I’m always a little bit jealous when I see a decent snowfall. 25cm is a bit much though!

  4. Tres chic! I only ever use tricot interfacing these days….. It seems to work for most projects and it’s the nicest I can get at my local fabric stores. I’m gagging to make something with snaps – no buttonholes! WHOOHOO!

    1. Thats what I used here, and usually I find it really good too! I think it might be the heavy snaps making everything sag. I’m a little weary of snaps to be honest, I’m always worried they’re going to pull out of my fabric instead of popping apart!

  5. I love this top (and your skirt too)! I think it looks great on you! And I’m glad you were able to figure out the french, they seem to be translating more and more of their patterns to English now.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s