Happy New Year everyone! Today is my second blogging anniversary. I’m pretty impressed, to be honest, I was always rubbish at keeping a diary when I was a kid, even though I always aspired to! Two years is quite a long time for me to maintain such a high level of commitment to a hobby as well, I suppose sewing is such a practical and varied past time that its easy to just keep going! Huge thanks to the online sewing community for all the assistance, motivation, inspiration and enjoyment you give me, it would be much more difficult without you.
Anyway, before this starts to sound like an Oscar winners speech, I have some more navel gazing to do! Here is the second half of my Top 5 for 2015…
(I’m going to break this up with kitten pictures, if you need some incentive to get through another annual blog review)
First, some numbers:
I blogged about
- 36 sewn garments, and 5 sewn accessories
- 3 knitted garments and 1 knitted accessory
The things I sewed included
- 14 tops
- 4 pairs of shorts/trousers (2 mens, 2 womens)
- 4 skirts
- 5 jackets/coats
- 6 dresses (5 for me, one for a friend)
- 3 undergarments/Pyjamas
Unblogged items included 1 watson bra, a couple of mens tee shirts, a few emmeline tee shirts and scout tee shirts made for other people.
I’m surprised I only made 5 dresses for myself this year, but I suppose I’ve been making lots of pretty practical things! I’m particularly proud of my outerwear and knitting this year.
I looked back at my goals and resolutions post for 2015, and I’ve been pretty poor at achieving my goals for the year! I wanted to:
1) Get better at fitting wovens, specifically learn how to do an FBA and a sway back adjustment. Fail! I haven’t touched on sway back adjustments at all, and I’ve done plenty of research into FBA but still haven’t put it into practice.
2) Make jeans. Another fail! I have the Ginger pattern printed and ready to go, and two lots of denim and notions all prewashed and ready, so no excuse.
3) Make lingerie: Fail again! I made one Watson bra, but I’ve struggled to find the right materials in Wellington. I have enough for another Watson Bra, and I nearly have everything I need for a Boylston Bra too, so maybe this year.
4) Improve my knitting. I did this! I did learn cables and colourwork, like I wanted to. I’m looking forward to knitting a bunch more this year.
5) Sew more for others, especially for Monsieur. I kinda did this, maybe half marks? I made a pair of Jedediah shorts and a pair of trousers for Monsieur, along with some tee shirts, and I made some things for friends too.
I’ll have to give myself a D grade for achieving my goals in 2015, only 1.5/5! Terrible! I was clearly having too much fun doing what I was doing to be too worried about my lists. For 2016, I’m just going to repeat the same goals, but with some specifics added in. Hopefully that’ll make it easier to stick to them…
- Keep getting better at fitting! Actually do an FBA. Specifically, sort out the fitting of the Florence Tulip dress so that it can be worn to a wedding next summer.
- Make jeans! Ginger jeans. Just sodding do it! Before winter.
- Make Lingerie. Have another go at Watson, and at Boylston.
- Challenge myself with my knitting. I’d like to have a go at socks, and at some more colourwork.
- Make some shirts for Monsieur. If anyone has recommendations for a slim fitting mens shirt, I’d love to hear them!
Bonus goal: Keep getting better. Don’t get stuck in the rut of only sewing things I know work for me, try new things!
So thats it for another year. I hope you’ve all seen off 2015 in a manner which you’ve found enjoyable, here’s to an excelent 2016!