I’ve had a bit of a sewing hiaus recently, I’ve been buried under a pile of paperwork for University. Not very exciting. But today is the last day of Winter, and I have something to post! I’m so glad that its almost officially dress weather that I jumped right in and made a sleeveless cotton dress. Realistically, it’ll be another few months until I can actually wear it, but at least my wardrobe feels a bit summery for now…
This is the Sew Over It Vintage Shirtdress, made up in some sweet vintage cotton I bought up in Auckland at the end of last year. It was so narrow! I barely managed to squeeze the skirt pieces onto it, and it isn’t exactly a full skirt. I was so busy playing pattern piece tetris that I made a ridiculous mistake, and cut the back on the selvidge instead of the fold! I spend a few minutes hyperventilating about not having enough fabric to re-cut the back, and then decided to patch it with a strip of self fabric.
In the end, you can hardly see it. I’ll call it a design feature! I really like the fabric, its so pretty and summery. It looks a bit green in these pictures, but its little blue flowers and green leaves on a white background.
I really enjoyed sewing this pattern up. It was pretty simple, and the instructions made the trickier bits like the collar clear. I had sewn a notched collar before, on my Carolyn Pyjamas, but I still found it to be a bit head scratching when I came to it! Sewing it with a facing made it much less fiddly than the fold and stitch method used to get a clean finish on the Carolyn top. I also love the slightly gathered yoke, its so pretty!
As much as I like the outside, i think I like the inside more. I’m really pleased with the finishing methods I used on this dress, it looks so clean and tidy! I ended up putting a full lining in it, as it was slightly sheer, and I used some lovely eggshell blue bias tape (which I found in a pile of vintage notions in my favourite second had shop, hurrah!) to bind the armscye and hem, and to edge the facing. The lining is a super light weight cotton lawn, it doesn’t add any extra weight but it gives it just enough opacity for me to be able to wear the dress without a slip.
There was only 5.5m of bias tape in the package, so I thought I wouldn’t have enough to do the hem as well, but it turned out to be the perfect amount. I had less than 2cm left over! Its a bit wrinkly in the pictures above, I think I should give it another iron…
The buttons came from my stash. I seriously debated using blue buttons, but I couldn’t find any which matched and I started getting a bit obsessive about which blue to use. White was a safer choice!
I really like it with the white belt as well.
This wasn’t the dress I originally meant to make with this pattern at all! I had some purple and copper wool plaid earmarked for the long sleeved version, but then I pulled this cotton out of my stash when I was looking for something else, and decided it would be very cute and summery as this dress. I think I’ll save the long sleeved wool dress until next Autumn!