Another week, another tee shirt! Though this one is more of a blouse, I suppose…
Its a Sewaholic Belcarra, to be exact! I’ve been eyeing this pattern since it was released, but was a bit unsure about the style on me. But then Sewaholic had a 20% off sale, so I grabbed the PDF and headed to The Fabric Store for a wee look around. I was originally after a soft, drapey (thanks to everyone who offered opinions about the correct way to spell drapey, by the way!) fabric, preferably self patterned and white. I also wanted something easy to look after, cotton or a poly blend. Instead, I ended up with this pretty silk border print. Its soft and mostly white, but thats about all it has in common with my original list of requiments! I thought it was too pretty to pass up on though, so I bought two panels in the hope that I could squeeze my pattern onto it.
(I tried really hard to get a shot of the back, but this was as much of me as I managed to fit in the frame for some reason. After 5 similar shots, I gave up…)
The blouse was really easy to make up, I just made the plain version without the pintucks or pocket. It would have gone together in a few hours, except it was a nightmare to cut out! This is the first think I’ve made in a slippery silk, and I thought it would be ok as it was quite crisp feeling, but it still slipped and slithered and warped and just generally gave me hives as I was trying to lay out the pattern! I ended up weighing the pattern down as I usually do, then pinning it as well. I originally planned to cut it in a single layer, to minimise my fabric use, but this ended up helping me to keep everything square as well. It was with great relief that I cut out the final cuff band!
After that nightmare, I waited a few days to start sewing it together. I decided I would try to use french seams, since they always look so lovely, so it took a bit of number crunching to figure out how I should divide up my seam allowances! I’m rubbish at fractions, using imperial measurements makes my head hurt. Eventually I figured out that 1/4″ and 3/8″ made up 5/8″, so thats what I went with. Later I found the tutorial on The Grainline blog which spelt all of that out, so It was good to have my numbers confirmed! Then there was getting the general orientation of the pattern pieces right, wrong sides together first, then right sides…the only time I got it wrong was sewing up the shoulder seams, so at least they were only short lengths of stitching to unpick! I make it sound really difficult, but once I got my head around it it was all fine, and it looks lovely on the inside!
I also had a minor wrestle with the neck band, for some reason it ended up about an inch longer than the neckline. i think I must have stretched out the bias strip as I basted it together. In the end, I just trimmed it down and re-stitched it. I also decided to hand stitch the binding down, rather than top stitch it, which I think looks better on the silk.
I made two very minor changes to the instructions, otherwise its exactly as the pattern intended! I cut the cuff bands on grain instead of in the bias, as I wanted to use the border print, and I used a narrow rolled hem instead of folding and topstitching it up.
I really like the pattern, but I am slightly worried that this fabric (pretty as it is) makes it a bit…mature for me. I’m considering giving it to my mum, as it might be more age appropriate for her! What do you think? Or do you think it’ll look ok with shorts and sandals and bright jewellery for summer?
17 thoughts on “Summer daisy Belcarra”
I think it would look great with shorts – could make a great festival look! This looks great, I wasn’t going to bother with this pattern but maybe I’ll think again 🙂
Thanks, I’m hoping I’ll feel better about it when it gets warmer! Its a really nice pattern to sew with, I think it has the potential to look so different with different fabrics and colour blocking options.
I’ve made this pattern four times now, and it looks so different every time depending on what I use. I’ve definitely found that drapey = better when it comes to this one. Also I had the exact same issue as you with the length of the binding, every time I just cut it short like you did. I think your version would look so sweet with shorts and colourful sandals and a big hat!
Yeah, I got the impression that soft flowing fabric would work best! I love your white polka dot version, that fabric is perfect.
This is a lovely top. The print on the fabric is gorgeous too- it almost seems a little nautical to me. I can imagine wearing it with some navy blue linen trousers/shorts and some sandals 🙂
Thanks Natalie! Something about the fabric makes me think of hot sunny places by the sea, glad its not just my wishful thinking!
Drool – that fabric is the best!
Thank you! I’m feeling much better about it 🙂
I love the print. I don’t think it looks too “mature” at all. It looks like the perfect top for a vacation in the Greek isles. Love it!
Thanks, it made me think of the Mediterranean when I saw it too (though that might just be me wishing I was sitting on the Amalfi coast with a glass of prosecco and a bucket of gelato…)
Nope, not mature. Keep it!
Thanks, I think I’m being convinced!
I love that fabric! I think it could easily be dressed up or down. I have made this top once and definitely want to make it again next Spring. I think I need to be on the lookout for a great border print, now!
Thank you! I love border prints, they’re so pretty. I think I’ll be making a few more of these too!
So clever to use the border to such a lovely effect! I think with some awesome modern jewellry like neon pink, and cute denim shorts it will be lovely on you.
Thanks Sarah, I’ll have to do some outfit planning before I write up my summer sewing list!