Double Feature: a pair of Renfrews

Continuing on last weeks’ theme of comfy long sleeved tops (in grey and white stripes, no less) , I made myself a Sewaholic Renfrew out of a lovely thick cotton knit. I bought the 2 yards (2.2m) of fabric recommended on the pattern, and I have so much left over that I think I can probably get a short sleeved version out of the same fabric for summer! Which is not at all a bad thing.

20140520-130926.jpg

I was in between sizes, so I made the 8, which turned out to be a bit big. It fits more like a sweater than a tee shirt! I cut the hem and cuff bands with the stripes going the other way to the body of the top (is it called the cross grain if its a four way stretch knit?) just for a bit of variety. I usually like the way this looks, but I’m not 100% convinced in this instance…

20140520-131232.jpg

The top came together really quickly, my only catastrophe came when I cut the sleeves too short! I initially thought it would be ok, but when I wore it the other day they really annoyed me. I’ve decided that this version can be an almost-wearable muslin. I may take the bands off the hem and cuffs, take it in a bit, and maybe replace the bands with a solid grey rather than the stripes. I really like the fabric, so it would be a shame not to make it wearable! I’m also not entirely pleased with the neck band, looking at these photos made me realise how wavy it is. I wonder if a good iron would fix it?

Since I was on such a roll, and had just pre-washed and dried a load of merino fabric, I decided to cut out a short sleeved version in a size 6 and see how it turned out.

20140520-131724.jpg(This is what I look like when I need to sneeze just as the photo is taken. Not a good look!)

Pretty damn well, I think! The fit is much better, more what I was looking for with version one. I was so excited when I put it on that I did a happy dance in the bathroom :). I love tee shirts, they’re my main wardrobe staple (those and cardigans), and I’m so happy to be able to whip up one that fits and is such a lovely shape in a few hours! I’m also really happy with the way the neck band turned out on this one, I gave it a decent burst of steam when I ironed it and that seems to have done the trick.

20140520-132113.jpg

The only changes I made to the construction of this one was to shorten it an inch (at the shorten/lengthen line, I normally never remember to do that!) and to sew the sleeve band to the inside of the sleeve, turning it up like a cuff. I like my tee shirt sleeves to be shorter! I’m considering adding a tab and button, just for visual interest.

20140520-132345.jpg

I got the job I was interviewed for last week, so clearly my lack of adult trousers didn’t cost me too badly (I wore a dress, I was fairly respectable looking!). As a reward, I bought myself two new patterns, the By Hand London Flora, and the Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt. I’ll need to remember how to sew wovens…once I’ve finished my merino Moneta of course…

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Double Feature: a pair of Renfrews

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s